Sunday, May 17, 2015

"For They are Yours" - a sermon for the community of Urland Lutheran Church


Hello, friends - 

Today I had the joy and privilege of joining the Urland Lutheran Church community in their worship - got to preach and preside over communion for the second time. I ran into a lot of people who I knew, who knew my family, and who were all extraordinarily kind, genuine, and warm-hearted. It was a fantastic morning! Here's the sermon manuscript, beginning with the Gospel text - John 17:6-19. 

"I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word. Now they know that everything you have given me comes from you. For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me. I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours. All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them. I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one. While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.

I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them. I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified."

Friends, grace to you and peace from God our Creator and God’s Son Jesus the Christ. Amen.

Thank you for having me today. My name is Dean Safe. I’m a Cannon Falls native, having grown up on a farm just a few miles from here. I’m currently studying at Luther Seminary to become a pastor in the ELCA. I’ve been a lifelong member of Spring Garden Lutheran Church, just up the road. I’m thankful to Pastor Yackel for offering me the opportunity to be here today, and it is my joy to join you in your worship this morning.

In May of 2012, I was a new college graduate, with my Bachelor of Arts in English Literature and Creative Writing. My parents, when I was in college, always wanted me to have a plan – “What are you going to do with your degree?”, they’d ask. Instead of going to find a job that paid a normal-person’s-living-wage, I decided to go work in the mountains of Washington State at Holden Village, a small Lutheran retreat center, where I cooked for a year, for almost no money. I made some smart life choices.

I’ve always been really bad at saying goodbye, and this journey to Holden Village was no exception. I was facing the facts that I wouldn’t see my family for months, and I’d be far away from the close-knit community I had been raised in. I had decided to take the Amtrak Empire Builder out west, and so here we stood in the train station, my mom, my dad, and I, at 11:00 at night, saying goodbye, with a “Be safe”, and “We’ll see you later”, and “Have fun!” It was a whirlwind of emotions – elation, excitement, terror, and deep sadness – as I turned away from my parents, stepped onboard the train, and found a seat. I wasn’t sure if I was ready to say goodbye, to leave Cannon Falls and all that I knew – but I boarded the train anyway.

The next day, I found myself surrounded by some pretty fascinating people. I ran into a man who had plans for an off-the-grid homestead in eastern Montana, and he told me how he never cared to marry and just wanted to raise chickens. There was another guy who was thrown off the train and arrested in Glasgow, Montana, and a kind elderly woman paid for my breakfast the second morning aboard. I finally made my way to Holden after 38 hours traversing the western half of our country, and I quickly found myself wrapped up in all that Holden Village has to offer – work, play, worship, and friends. I had traded one community; my home of Cannon Falls, for another.

Our Gospel text for today is also concerned with farewell, in prayer form. In John’s account we encounter Jesus saying goodbye to his disciples. Jesus is leaving his followers, his work – what he knows, in order that the disciples may carry on his work and ultimately for Christ to fulfill his mission – death on the cross for the salvation of the whole world. There is no turning back from this point, as in the scene after this he is arrested, beaten, and crucified, in rapid succession. He has been telling his followers that he must go to his Father, and has eluded plenty to the death that he will die. His disciples don’t necessarily understand. Jesus knows he has one more chance, after a succession of farewell speeches, and he knows that he has to get this one right. Jesus prays a prayer of goodbye and farewell that is deeply meaningful and intentional towards both the disciples as well as to us today.

Jesus’ relationship with his disciples is intimate – after all, they have been talking, teaching, and doing God’s work together for the past three years – for all of Christ’s public ministry. He prays to keep his disciples in God’s love as he says, “They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me. I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours.” I think Christ knows that the road ahead will be hard. He’s tried to teach them, through his series of farewell discourses, how life will be after he is ascended to the Father, but I don’t think the disciples yet fully understand just how important this is. In Jesus’ death, the ministry is handed over to the people, to the disciples – and that is no small task. They are being charged with speaking words of peace, doing acts of justice and reconciliation, and telling of God’s intentions for the whole world.

The disciples won’t always be liked, however, for doing this. Jesus says later in the prayer, “I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one.” There will be people who will be against their words, against their actions, and the road in ministry won’t always be perfect. When they were working with Jesus, God had protected them, but now Christ must depart. I can imagine the disciples hearing these words being fearful and unsure what to expect in the coming days and months. In the end, almost all of the disciples die defending the faith that Christ instilled. But, no matter what, Jesus assures them that they belong to God – for they are not of the world any more than Jesus himself is. They have been together for three years, and through Christ’s actions they have seen how God works in the world. Their work together has been full of holy and ordinary moments, and Jesus promises that it won’t stop once Jesus is taken down from the cross.

We here at Urland Lutheran, at Spring Garden, at St. Pius, at First Baptist, at St. Ansgars and the Church around the world have the joy of finding out what God is doing in our lives and in the lives of other people. This prayer is ultimately about the love of Jesus that is for the people, and that includes you and your neighbor and me. We are each claimed by God to use our gifts and talents for the continued ministry of the church. What we do each day might not seem like much, and it might not seem like it’s important. We look at what the disciples did, in the era of the early church, and wonder how we compare. That’s the beauty of how God works, though. We are called to use our gifts, no matter what they are, or how significant a contribution they bring – because we are all a part of the Christian community and all of it advances God’s work here on earth which is full of reconciliation, justice, and words of hope in our broken, messy world.

My friends, we are lucky. Because we know that this prayer, the one that Jesus prayed for his disciples before his death, is not only for them. It is also for us, today, in Cannon Falls, Minnesota. We still are protected and called by the love of God, and we are still sanctified in the truth of Christ’s promises as we continue to carry out ministry together. It is a prayer of farewell to the disciples but it is also a prayer of invitation, one that we are welcomed into each and every day. I encourage you this week to notice the ways you see Christ’s love intersecting with your everyday life, because I promise you – we are called beloved of God each and every day. For that, I say “Thanks be to God”. Amen. 

God's Peace,
Dean 

No comments:

Post a Comment